Racer X Cycling 2015 Hill Climb Challenge
An annual hill climb series featuring the best climbs in the front range.
Hill climb challenge on the Front Range! (using Strava segments)
Spring 2015 brings a hill climb challenge on ten of the favorite climbs on the front range. Racers will have the opportunity to virtually compete against each other. You may ride the challenge “segment” anytime during the challenge window (April/May). This is not a race. There is no fee to participate and no prize for winning.
- Grapevine View Climb Segment Notes: This is a relatively short, low altitude, gravel, chip seal road climb. The RXCHCS segment starts about 50 feet into the climb just after you leave Hwy 74. The finish is about 20 feet short of the crest of the hill.
- High Grade View Climb Segment Note: This segment starts 50 feet into the climb just after you leave Turkey Creek, the top of the climb is 50 feet short of the grange building.
- Lookout Mtn View Climb Segment Note: This segment begins at the pillar and ends at the post.
- Witter Gulch View Climb Segment Note: This segment begins about 50 feet into the climb just after you turn north from Hwy 74. The end of the segment is 100 feet short of the stop sign at the top just before you hit Hwy 103.
- Super Flag View Climb Segment Note: The start of the segment is 100 feet into the climb and ends 20 feet before the summit.
- Mayhem Gulch View Climb Segment Note: This segment starts 20 feet before you leave the parking lot and ends 20 feet before you intersect the trail at the top.
- Chimney Gulch View Climb Segment Note: This segment begins 100 feet after you leave the hang glider parking lot off Hwy 6 and ends at the top of the technical section just before you hit the asphalt road at the top.
- Mt Falcon View Climb Segment Note: This segment begins 50 feet pass the bathrooms to the west of the lower parking lot and ends 20 feet before you hit the shelter at the top of the first big climb.
- White Ranch View Climb Segment Note: This segment begins 100 feet past the rocky technical section at the bottom just north of the lower parking lot and ends at the bench at the top of the first climb.
- Bergen Peak View Climb Segment Note: This segment begins 200 feet past the bathrooms, just west of the parking lot and ends 5 feet after the last technical section at the top of the mountain.
No registration fees in 2015
How to participate
What you need to do to participate… Go to Strava.com and set up an account if you don’t have one. You will also need a enabled bike computer with heart rate and/or power. Join the Strava group called “Racer X Cycling Hill Climb Challenge”. After your ride, download your data to your Strava account. The “challenge” segment will automatically take your information and import it to the hill climb segment and rank you against all members of the group that has also done that segment. It’s that easy.
You can do the segment as many times during April/May as you would like. You may NOT use any motorized assistance. Any cheating and you will be removed from the Strava challenge and the Points Series, and nobody will like you, ever again. Any suspicious times can be challenged by the Board to ensure accuracy. Be advised, we will be on the segment monitoring activity at various random times! Finally, if you feel the conditions are dangerous please do not do the segment at that time. The decision to participate is yours and yours alone. As conditions during the spring vary please make good decisions about whether to participate on any given day.
Prizes and expenses
This challenge is all about fun, the challenge and getting us out on our bikes in the early season. This is not a race. There is no fee to participate and no prize for winning.
- You have a calendar window of 2 months to do any particular climb, you can ride it as many times as you like during that time.
- A Strava verification system will be in place, must have heart rate and/or power with time.
- You may participate in one or more climbs, the road series (5 climbs), mtn series (5 climbs) and/or the overall series (10 climbs).
- Each climb is to be completed in an “Individual Time Trial” format, i.e. without the outside assistance of motorized vehicles, other riders, or any other supportive assistance. (We can’t monitor drafting, but it is not allowed.)
- There will be random monitoring of the course during the two months.
- Segment rides MUST be completed between April 1 and May 31.
- To be eligible for challenge segment submission, riders must register in advance, join the “Racer X Cycling Hill Climb group” and sign applicable waivers.
- For Individual Segment Competitions, the best time for each registered rider during the designated period will be used to determine the podium for that climb.
- For Series Competitions, the lowest combined time for the selected Strava segments will determine your overall position.
- Failure to complete all segments designated for Series Competitions will not eliminate rider from “Individual Segment Competitions” for each Segment.
- This is a cycling challenge, not a running challenge.
- Again, there will be random monitoring of the course during the period. Activities used to cheat, will be scrutinized and participants disqualified.
- Segment activities must be uploaded to the Strava website within 24 hours of completion of the two month period.
- There will be no prize money in 2015.
- Did we mention that uploads and routes will be scrutinized!
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: By signing up and participating in the Racer X Cycling Hill Climb Series you voluntarily assume ALL risks involved with road and mountain biking. The Racer X Cycling Hill Climb Series is an unofficial challenge, meaning there will be no medical support provided and absolutely no assurances you won’t be injured. Any and all riders agree to participate with the express waiver of liability regarding organizers and sponsors. There are no official endorsers, including Strava. In other words, riders ride at their own risk, and if you get hurt, suck it up, you have nobody to sue.
RXC Hill Climb Activity
RXC Hill Climb Summary